RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – North Carolina’s unemployment rate is continuing its steady decline, in line with national trends for weekly unemployment claims. But there’s still an abundance of available jobs across the Triangle area, with the latest openings coming from colleges and universities, health insurance firms, biotech companies, and banks. Today’s Jobs Report is heavy on openings from North Carolina Central University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Blue Cross NC, Merck & Co., and Truist. Local startups and smaller firms are also seeking new talent.
Every Sunday, TechWire tracks the total number of Triangle-area jobs on major job boards. In our latest count, the week-to-week totals increased on some sites but fell on others. Adzuna, for example, shows 2,617 more jobs in Wake County and 1,796 more jobs in Raleigh than it did a week ago. LinkedIn job openings in Raleigh and Chapel Hill have increased by more than 1,000 jobs compared to the same time last week.
But the totals dropped on other job recruitment platforms and websites, as Glassdoor has 1,170 fewer jobs in the RTP-area than it did a week ago. Dice.com and Indeed also show declines in the hundreds.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 46,941 jobs (+2,617 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 24,103 (+1,796)
- ⇑ Durham County: 11,363 (+516)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 17,208 (-503)
- ⇓ Durham: 17,007 (-517)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 16,795 (-517)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 35,951 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-1,170)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 16,537 (-709)
- ⇓ Durham: 9,836 (-431)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,848 (-144)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 29,774 (+899), with 6,402 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Durham: 13,615 (-605), with 2,480 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,685 (+169), with 370 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 31,441 (-1,748)
- ⇑ Durham: 14,200 (+811)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,629 (-396)
More jobs, investment coming to NC as Thermo Fisher keeps expanding
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (271 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (6,624 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (370 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars, and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 79 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 33 in Durham, and 19 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Two new jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Raleigh Parks seeks a marketing communications analyst.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is looking to hire a digital content producer for its Office of University Communications.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 247 jobs at 44 companies.
Six jobs were added over the last week:
- Health care firm Aledade is looking to add a director of operations in Cary.
- Durham-based CureMint, a dental procurement software firm, seeks a remote sales manager.
- Raleigh-based edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a product manager.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci posted an opening for a human resources associate director/director.
- Furniture company Nugget added a listing for a senior accountant in Butner.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a strategy and revenue ops analyst in Durham.
NC’s falling unemployment, more jobs is ‘perfect recipe for a good job report’
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Thousands of biomanufacturing jobs are coming – NC rolling out programs to train workers
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 629 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Blue Cross NC added several openings in Durham, including senior IT governance consultant, case manager, IT manager associate, solution architect (two openings), actuarial analyst (three openings), senior M&A integration program manager, employee relations consultant, data and technology advisor, BI developer/analyst (two openings), marketing communications specialist, command center forecast analyst, assistant counsel, senior strategic advisor, business application expert, senior business application administrator, senior Salesforce developer, assistant actuary, senior business process auditor, enterprise IT assets manager, member payments product manager, pharmacy services coordinator, project manager associate and financial systems manager.
- Coastal Credit Union added two openings for a loan serving specialist temp and an account manager in Raleigh.
- Medicago added two jobs in Durham for a manager of downstream purification and an engineering director.
- North Carolina Central University added multiple job openings in Durham, including academic advisor, project manager engineer, facilities engineer, administrative support associate, administrative support specialist, facility maintenance locksmith, facility maintenance technician (five openings), associate Spanish professor, assistant/associate professor (educational technology graduate program), admissions counselor, pipeline coordinator, property security officer, building environmental services technician, auditor, director of campus recreation and wellness, director of corporate and foundation relationships, and volunteer/tutor coordinator.
- Nugget added a senior accountant job opening in Butner.
- Self-Help Credit Union added a commercial loan officer position in Durham.
- Truist posted several jobs at its Triangle-area locations, including Varicent configuration analyst (two openings), financial services specialist, on-demand teller, software engineer, financial services specialist, testing and quality engineering software director, commercial client specialist and financial crimes deputy director.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Several jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board over the last week (since Nov. 22):
- Senior research associate at the Chordoma Foundation in Durham
- Postdoctoral associate and HR departmental director at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Chemist/study director at the IR-4 Project in Raleigh
- Chemist/biochemist paid internship at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Operations manager, quality assurance specialist (two openings), oncology sales specialist and engineering specialist at Merck & Co. in Durham
- Research technician at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Marsico Lung Institute/Cystic Fibrosis Center
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
Only one local job was added over the last week: Technology nonprofit MCNC is looking to hire a senior network consultant in RTP.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,200 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Cree Wolfspeed
- Duke University and Duke University Health System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 186 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Three jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Raleigh edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a product manager in edtech provider experience.
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, seeks an implementation specialist in Raleigh.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo added an opening for a manager of go-to-market analytics.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded, and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,167 jobs from 86 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Cary)
- ArchiveSocial (Durham)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- LearnPlatform (Raleigh)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Nugget (Butner)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
There’s a new, Triangle-specific job board, thanks to collaboration of partners
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Nov. 23) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Earlier this month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area. After increasing its headcount from 65 to 75 so far in 2021, the firm anticipates another seven to 10 new hires before the end of the year.
Terra Dotta also anticipates an additional boost in hiring in 2022 as the company builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
New Terra Dotta platform integrates global experiences, COVID-19 travel info for higher ed users
“With global travel quickly picking back up at colleges and universities, we are in growth mode and anticipate demand to further accelerate in 2022, with the potential for a 30% to 50% increase in our team,” says Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli.
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, marketing, sales and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
Last month, RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access, insights and analytics, marketing, and quality assurance. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. Its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Director of trade and patient support
- Senior director of pricing and contract analytics
- VP of value access and trade
- Senior director of insights and analytics
- Senior product manager
- Quality assurance manager
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Feb. 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair is designed for candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: