Aurora Consulting is looking for a part-time Patent Agent and Search Analyst to help with portfolio management, patent searching, growth initiatives, and business administration.
This is a fully remote, part-time role with a flexible work week. The position is salaried for a guaranteed 30 hours per week and payable at an hourly rate for any hours above 30. We are experiencing steady growth, sparked mainly by client love and referrals, so there’s significant potential for this to evolve into a full-time role for the right person.
We’re fully distributed, so you can work from any reasonably well Internet-connected location in the U.S., while enjoying your flexible work week.
What you’ll do:
You will help us navigate a very dynamic growth stage by assisting, as needed, in a wide array of disciplines including:
- Patent portfolio management. Working closely with each client’s business, legal, technical, and management teams, you will assist with the client’s patent strategy and portfolio development efforts, including identifying and capturing inventive technologies, preparing applications, guiding patent prosecution, and IDS management.
- Patent Search and Analysis. You will perform patent searches (patentability, FTO, state of the art, etc.), analysis, and competitive landscape monitoring.
- Administrative backend. We’re working toward more automated solutions, but we still have several monthly tasks around reporting and project management that require human touch. Helping with additional administrative tasks like preparing client contracts and preparing various response shells would also be immensely beneficial to the team.
- Growth initiatives. You will help us continue our growth trajectory via active participation in networking, business development, speaking engagements (virtual or in-person as comfort allows), podcast participation, and content development. This is compensated time and eligible for profit sharing.
Who you are:
You have an undying love for people and supporting inventors and team members with the highest level of quality, high-touch service. Ideally, you’ll also be a good mix of the following:
- Scientist or Engineer. Registered USPTO Patent agent with a background in bioengineering, engineering, biotechnology, chemistry, or related technical discipline.
- Quality-focused, highly-efficient practitioner. 2 years as a patent agent who is technically skilled and comfortable drafting and reviewing utility and design patent applications that exceed client expectations. It would be a bonus if you are able to share an office action response that resulted in an issued patent and provide any published application or patent numbers for which you participated in drafting.
- Search Sleuth. 2+ years experience performing various types of patent and non-patent literature searching. Desire to be an integral part of shaping and growing our search business.
- Insatiable Tech Geek. Ability to review and analyze technically complex documents, including scientific papers, patents, and technical specifications.
- Hyper-organized, crisp communicator. Excellent organizational, verbal communication, and writing skills.
- Intuitive Collaborator. Team player with proven ability to work with dynamic and diverse groups of engineers, inventors, and business and strategy teams.
- Hungry for autonomy. Can self-direct, manage, and motivate. Takes personal ownership and responsibility for driving high-quality results and consistently hitting deadlines.
- OCD about detail. Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online with their cover letter and resume. It would be a bonus if you are able to share an office action response that resulted in an issued patent and provide any published application or patent numbers for which you participated in drafting.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Aurora Consulting:
What we do: We specialize in working with early stage med device, digital health, software, and life science companies to develop valuable patent portfolios through highly tailored, comprehensive strategies. We scale with our clients’ needs and deeply understand the nuances of technology and patent strategy, and how to tie them effectively to business objectives.
Who we are: We are a fully distributed company with a culture that promotes a high degree of autonomy, work ownership, and quality at every step. You work where, when, and how you want – with others who have a deep passion for technology. We are engineers and scientists first. Our team has multiple advanced engineering and science degrees.
Learn more: https://www.aurorapatents.com/